Thursday, November 6, 2008

23 Weeks and Feeling It!

My appointment this week was originally scheduled for tomorrow but after a very, very restless night, full of menstrual-like cramping, I called the office this morning to see if I could be seen today. Dr. G saw me at 5:00. I'm glad I moved the appointment up as I took it easy today, doing absolutely nothing and drinking a ton of fluids. There was no change in my symptoms and I needed to know that my cervix was still long and closed in order to sleep well tonight.

On my way into the hospital, I ran into one of Precious Miracle's Neonatologists. He told me he just heard this week that we were expecting and wished not to see me anytime soon. I told him that I'm optimistic we'll just plan a visit, without taking up residence in the unit. Let's hope!

It was nice being in the office in the evening hours. There was a different, relaxed feeling that I prefer to the hustle and bustle of daytime. Plus, I was alone, which makes the visit that much more relaxing for me. I enjoyed some time to read my book while waiting to be seen and didn't really care how late the appointment ran. It was nice to just have some time.

I am gaining weight nicely and adequately for where I am in my pregnancy. My blood pressure continues to be low and the baby's heart beat quite a lovely sound. Although as he is growing and becoming more active, I feel I need that less. It is still nice to hear the sound and I will never refuse to hear it. It's just amazing what an active baby can do for your comfort. And, speaking of his activity, he is getting bigger as I am feeling simultaneous movements on totally opposite sides of my abdomen, what I imagine to be an arm and a leg. I know I've said it before but just to reiterate, he is such a more docile mover than Miss Girl was. I really think it's an indication as to his personality as My Girl's movements in the womb mirror the child she is today.

Back to my visit: since today was my shot day, Nurse Barb gave me my injection. It was, as usual, no biggie. Then Dr. G checked my cervix. Nice and long and closed, even with fundal pressure. The measurements very similar to those of last week - 3.3 to 3.4.

Dr. G then proposed that I start on a low-dose of Procardia, a medication used to stop uterine contractions. Procardia specifically is listed as a med used for uterine irritability too. According to Dr. G and various research I have done, no serious newborn side effects have been noted. However, it is listed as a Category C drug and its use as a tocolytic agent is off-label.

I was appreciative that the office could squeeze me in today and that Dr. G recognized my cramping is much worse this week. My guess is that since there is no cervical change, and now that I'm approaching viability, we want to stop any irritability from causing changes, thus nipping it (or attempting to nip it) with oral tocolysis. For this I am extremely grateful.

Finally, on my out of the hospital tonight, I ran into the parking attendant who was on most nights, two years ago, when we would leave the NICU. She remembered me, asked about my baby, acknowledged my pregnancy and also recalled that I gave her a Christmas gift that year. She wanted to personally pay for my parking tonight, and I insisted that she not. It was a very thoughtful gesture as was her asking about our Girl each night we would leave the hospital. She is one of the many people who touched our lives during that difficult time.

No comments: