Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful for 26 weeks and So Much More!!!

At this point in my pregnancy, I look at the passing of each week as comfort that I won't have a baby classified as having been born at that week's gestation. It is a direct link back to my thoughts about "weekers", a word I never knew existed until My Girl was born. Anyway, it is with great relief that I know Baby Boy will not be born classified as a "25-weeker" although now that I am 26 weeks, worry that could be our mark. I am so fearful because I know what a 26 weeker looks like in the NICU, the complications they face after birth and the potential complications they can face down the road. It is very scary.

Compounding things is the fact that I am really not feeling 100%. My low back aches, I feel pressure and heaviness in my lower pelvis and prefer to be sitting with my feet up as opposed to being active in my household and life. Thankfully, my mother and hubby have taken the lead with Thanksgiving: my mom, dropping off the prepped turkey and most sides - ready for the oven, and hubby taking care of all the other details of the day. I don't know what I would do without such a multi-talented husband who is not afraid of domesticity.

I find myself pushing the fluids and taking my Procardia and Omega 3's with the hope that my symptoms will subside. I am clearly getting big and wonder how much of this is "normal" pregnancy stuff related to growing and stretching as suggested by both my doctor and experienced friends. I don't want to complain because ultimately, I want a full-term, healthy baby, but if this is "normal" pregnancy stuff (which I sure hope it is) I am a big wimp!

Turning to the holiday, it is nice that on this day of Thanksgiving, our reflections of how blessed we are as a family are the same as the reflections that occur on any other day of the year. Yes, this is a special day but the words I shared with My Girl as I tucked her into bed tonight were no more profound as a result. I felt a bit of shock in this, thinking there must be more, but at the same time, take comfort in the fact that our prayers of thanks are genuine and that it doesn't take a day that comes along once a year to figure out just how blessed we are.


Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!

No comments: