Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hubby's Got His Superstitions Too

So, it turns out I'm not the only one... And this fact leads me to assume that I can't be that crazy to be somewhat superstitions about this pregnancy. Hubby is clearly feeling it too and he is pretty level-headed. That has to tell you something about the experience we have been through with our Darling Daughter.

In anticipation of moving our girl to her new big-girl room (the furniture arrives Saturday morning!) we have been clearing out the guest room. It became a dumping grounds of sorts because when Missy transitioned into her toddler bed (she climbed out of her crib way sooner than we thought she would) back on July 1, we moved all the stuff she could get into with her new-found freedom out of her room.

So where does the superstition come into play? Well, among the many items in this former guest room was our bassinet. I can't remember exactly when we purchased it, but I do recall finding the specific bassinet I desired and going to Pottery Barn Kids to pick it up. We had to take it out of the box to fit it in the car as we weren't exactly child-friendly at the time. It sat assembled (not much to putting the bassinet on the stand now is there?) at the foot of our bed well before I gave birth to Missy at 24 weeks. It sat during her entire NICU stay, empty, waiting for her to fill it. It was a tough reminder every single time we entered our room. To move it was out of the question as leaving it there was our comfort that she would some day be joining us at home.

Tonight as part of my organizing, Missy and I wheeled the bassinet into the master bedroom, leaving in its proper place at the foot of the bed. We talked about Baby Brother and how in her words, "Baby Brother sleeps in there."

We went about the rest of our evening routine and Missy was soon in bed. Hubby and I caught up with each other in the bathroom as I was taking out my lenses. I showed him my growing bump and commented that I am going to be 23 weeks tomorrow. "I know," he acknowledged. He is always so good at keeping track of things. He then went on to inquire about my plans for the bassinet, indicating that he would feel more comfortable not having it in the room until the baby is born and home.

I felt it too, that pang of emotion. I guess I was just trying to push through it, figuring with enough time, the intensity of the feeling would diminish. I felt that I could go back to a state of neutrality about the bassinet and what it symbolized.

Hubby and I have a good relationship. We respect each other and the feelings that may be too much to feel at times. The bassinet is no longer at the foot of the bed. I guess I should admit there is a bit of relief in that for me too.

1 comment:

Cheeky Chums 4 Premature Babies said...

All the very best for your pregnancy lets hope all goes well until 40 weeks are up and that you dont need preemie clothes from sheila at Cheeky chums the premature baby store and more
www.cheekychumsonline.co.uk