Thursday, August 7, 2008

A Rough Afternoon

Little Miss and I got home from having lunch out with friends and did our typical nap time routine: diaper, wipe down, books and snuggles. She fell right to sleep and I did the same minutes later. I was awakened by the doorbell which then prompted both dogs to start barking. No sooner did I quiet them down when it rang again and they started right back up. The three of us (me and the dogs) were asleep in my room and the doors were closed but Little Miss was still disturbed. I ran down to see who was at my door but they had disappeared. I looked up and down the street until I heard a voice at my neighbors and there stood the woman who looked just like the Verizon rep that rang our bell the night before. The answer was "no" then so why would it suddenly be "yes" today?

I was fuming mad! As I raced back upstairs, Little Miss was crying at her door. I was hoping to salvage the nap and so needed her to fall back to sleep. We snuggled and rocked and thankfully she was tired enough to drift back to sleep. I then jumped on the phone with my township and then the local police department to find out if Verizon had a permit to solicit. They did not and the cops were on their way! Justice!

Then I had a moment of confusion because I didn't know for certain that it was Verizon. I knocked on my neighbor's door to find out because he actually let the woman in. My hunch was correct, Verizon was canvasing the neighborhood for the second day in a row.

Coming back in the house, I crossed my fingers that Missy was still sleeping and not a cranky mess standing in her doorway (she's gated now that she's in a big girl bed). Since my nap was thrown off course, I sat down to read the mail which just happened to be a letter from the school Little Miss will start in the fall. I was so emotional reading about her teachers, orientation and the like. I started to cry. Then I spotted the Verizon woman walking up the street with her male counterpart. I raced out front and shouted to them. We walked toward each other and I started to explain that they needed a permit to solicit. That's when they asked if I had turned them in. As I realized that the police had done what they said they would, it also dawned on me that the Verizon people now know where the snitch lives. The exchange was non-confrontational (in my opinion) and I explained that they already came to my house the day before. This seemed to validate my complaint. Hopefully they won't hold a grudge and seek retaliation. There are tons of other neighborhoods for them to walk through, why mine?

So after this whole ordeal I settled back in with a healthy and hopefully HELPFUL snack of prunes, walnuts and craisins. My whole snack came up with little warning. This was by far, my worst episode of illness. My snack cleaned me out - it was just the wrong way. What a day!

No comments: