Friday, September 12, 2008

No Infection!

My local group was able to squeeze me in for a quick check this morning at 9:00. I saw the same doctor who told me my membranes were bulging and that "you are not leaving the hospital until you deliver. Could be 12 hours, 12 days or 12 weeks". (By the way, it was a Friday that all this happened.) Needless to say, I was a little nervous about seeing him. I have friends who love him and I have friends who feel anything but love for him. Trying to make a positive relationship out of this, I tried to give him a new chance at becoming a doctor I like. Remember, he could very easily be the person who delivers me this time around.

Back to today. He was thorough, and I felt I was treated with kid gloves. Even though I was squeezed into the schedule, I didn't feel rushed as I asked him the outstanding question about prophylactic antibiotics. He took the time to give me an answer I felt satisfied with, especially after discussions with other physicians, that there is no evidence-based information that treating prophylactically does anything except create resistance to treatment in the future.

So back to my supposed infection. Turns out I have irritation and it is recommended that the next time I have an ultrasound we use a covering that does not contain latex. I never thought of myself as someone with a latex allergy but I will take this precaution in the future.

1 comment:

chandra ackerman said...

I can't stop the tears as I read your story..my daughter Amanda was born on November 28, 2008 at 24 weeks. She spent 4 months in the NICU, 3 1/2 months on a vent, and came home on oxygen and a monitor. Today, she has glasses, and is small for her age. She also has speech delays, which a group of special educators work with her on a regular basis. My husband and I have debated with each other over having another baby. I have always wanted 2 children, and more than that, would like a chance to experience a "normal" pregnancy. I kind of laughed to myself when you were talking about your son being born at 35 weeks-to us, that is amazing! To someone who has never experienced a micro preemie, that would be a disaster! There were mothers in the NICU with babies born at 37-38 weeks and I remember how jealous I was-and wanted to scream when they were talking about having an "early" baby. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story...