Tuesday, September 2, 2008

High Risk Times Two??

No, not two babies but ANOTHER pregnancy complication has come up. Dr. Davis said not to worry about it, but it's hard not to. It turns out I have placenta previa, where the placenta has formed covering my cervix. It sounds like it could still move up but at almost 14 weeks, I am not really sure. The bottom line is that Dr. Davis feels my TAC is holding things together nicely. However, placenta previa can cause bleeding which would make me FREAK out! And it turns out this bleeding, heavy bleeding I might add, usually comes towards the end of the second trimester and into the third. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that it's best to deliver by c-section, which I have to do anyway.

I'm praying that all goes well! The baby is growing like a weed, measuring ahead of LMP gestational age. It is very active! Preferring to bounce around and suck his/her thumb. I'm gonna go with him because all signs with this pregnancy are pointing to a him. Now if we can just come up with a name...

Also, during my ultrasound today, braxton hicks contractions were very evident. Fabulous! Dr. Davis assured me, even prior to this confirmation, that uterine contractions begin very, very early in pregnancy. I am two weeks and just about a day away from getting my first P17 shot. Let's hope all goes well with that pharmacy order and that my new primary care gets it right.

And yes, I've lost about 4-6 lbs so far during this pregnancy. Not the case with Little Miss as I was getting quite plump all the way around with her. Again, I was told not to worry. It turns out sickness can cause weight loss in the first trimester. Let's hope I gain a healthy amount of weight for the remainder - 26 weeks - of the pregnancy. Dr. Davis equated the baby to a parasite - the best parasite - a parasite that will suck every last drop of whatever it needs out of me. I'm sure sucking the life out of a sauerkraut hot dog is extremely healthy, but since I really can't eat anything, my craving had to be satisfied - finally, tonight was the night. But I had two and now I feel sick so I doubt I'll crave another hot dog anytime soon.

Finally, did I mention that placenta previa by itself puts me at high risk? What does this make me, high-high risk??

No comments: