Wednesday, September 17, 2008

One Shot Down at 16 Weeks

My neighbor Kim, who is a nurse, was kind enough to come over this morning at 9:00 A.M. to give me my first of twenty prescribed 17P shots. She could sense my nervousness through my emails alone as we went back and forth on timing. Initially we were going to do 11 but I thought Hubby should be here to help massage my injection site.

I am so glad we had a professional do this! Thank you, Kim! Just watching her draw up the solution into the syringe was enough to let me know we are not equipped to do this ourselves. I would be standing over my poor husband's shoulder second guessing if he did it right. Yes, second guessing him with all the medical training I've had which is zero.

My behind was iced to the point where it turned red. Kim had me lay on the couch to better relax my muscle. She gave me the necessary warning and I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised! The needle stick itself was just that, a slight stick. The solution didn't burn going in but towards the end of the shot, I could feel a "build-up" of sorts. I suppose that was the accumulation of the Progesterone in my muscle. I had slight cramping and tightening in my muscle but nothing major.

Missy had speech therapy in the basement playroom and was thankfully occupied while I warmed the injection site with a heating pad. Hubby didn't even have to massage anything!

I am so glad it's over with as the build-up and anxiety leading up to the shot was much worse than the actual experience. It was so nice to be pleasantly surprised.

So for all the women out there anticipating a painful Progesterone shot, it's really no big deal! Let's hope I don't eat my words later today. I'll let you know if I have a change of heart...

No comments: