Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Another Moved-Up Appointment

My appointment with Dr. Davis was scheduled for today, Tuesday. But, considering the events or shall I say lack-of events, as in a major slow down in Baby movements, I called to push my appointment up a day.

Sunday night was a difficult night for me. I had terrible left-sided pain that radiated to my lower back. I chalked it up to GI stuff as pregnancy causes a major halt in my digestion process. Gotta love Miralax! I couldn't get comfy and in my bouts of tossing and turning, noticed that Baby Boy was not moving in his normal fashion. I woke early Monday morning still noticing there was no movement. I hopped in the shower thinking that would help and nothing. I sat back in bed and had Hubby feel too. We pushed and poked and still nothing. I ate a bowl of cereal and drank a glass of juice thinking that should do it and yet nothing happened.

I called Lisa to see if they could accommodate an after lunch appointment as My Girl already had a scheduled-just-moments-before ENT appointment to have her newly swollen tonsils evaluated. Lisa was just as nice as always, informing me they were crazy booked both Monday and Tuesday and if I didn't mind waiting, come on over between 1 and 1:30. Mind waiting? Heck no, I'm used to it by now and was actually looking forward to it with a fresh book in my hands.

I was relieved to see Baby Boy's heartbeat on the ultrasound monitor. And with the probing of the transducer across my abdomen, Baby Boy decided to push back - finally! My fluid level continues to increase and was 11.6. My cervix was 2.7.

During my NST, Baby Boy must have been recharged from his long slumber as he was bouncing off my uterine walls! He had great accelerations in his heart rate and we both got a glowing report.

My visit with Dr. Davis was just a thorough as ever. He addressed my concerns about the following:

1. I mentioned that with My Girl, my membranes were exposed for five days, never rupturing. I asked if this means I have "strong" membranes and if this is even something that exists. He assured me that yes, there is in fact something to be said for bulging membranes that didn't rupture which leads him to believe I produce strong membranes.

This "history" was the build up to my real question about the chances of rupturing membranes in this pregnancy. I realize Dr. Davis can't predict the future but I did walk away with the reassurance that I am probably at a lesser risk for rupture since My Girl's membranes, under way extreme circumstances, stayed intact.

2. The other part to my membrane question was that in the event of rupture, does the TAC reduce the risk for a prolapsed cord. The answer to that was yes.

3. I also inquired about Fetal Fibronectin (fFN) testing http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1149.asp and whether or not it was something that we should consider. It was discussed that because of my tendency to worry, if I got a positive test back, I could very easily worry for no good reason. This test is best when it provides negative results, meaning delivery within a two week period is unlikely. I agree with Dr. Davis but still felt the need to ask.

4. My cervical length has decreased to a functional length of 2.7. This decrease in length is a normal part of pregnancy, which Dr. Davis explained is why the TAC is placed around the cervix and not sewn directly into the cervix. My TAC is still doing its job: my cervix is still closed with no funnelling.

5. Unfounded are my fears of uterine rupture. My mind can't seem to keep away from the fact that although my 24 week c-section was performed as a low-transverse incision (the preferable way but not likely with such an extreme premature birth), I was still cut at 24 weeks, way before my uterus had a chance to really expand. I am much larger now than I ever was with My Girl and that scares me. Dr. Davis took the time to perform another ultrasound, personally confirming there is no sign of uterine thinning or separation at my previous scar.

So yesterday was yet another of the many great visits I have had with Dr. Davis. I don't know where I would be without him. He puts my mind at ease and never undermines any of my concerns. Today I am officially seven weeks beyond where My Girl was born! Wow, seven extra weeks!!!

No comments: