Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Getting Close and Getting Nervous!

I saw my new group today. I am attempting to cycle through all the docs so I can get to know each one in the event they perform my delivery. They are still awaiting records from both Dr. Davis and my old group so first thing tomorrow, I will be on the phone trying to coordinate all that.

Nervousness is starting to set in for me. The doctor I met with today wants me to meet with the doctor who would perform my amnio. It seems to be the consensus among practitioners to deliver me earlier (37 weeks) as opposed to later (39 weeks) due to my possible risk of rupture. This has always been in the back of my mind and now that I know my cervix is holding up just fine, taken the lead as one of my third trimester worries.

The point of the consult with the perinatologist who would perform my amnio is to confirm that I even need an amnio or if my risk outweighs the risk of the baby having potentially immature lungs. This may sound horrible but I expressed to the doctor that as the mother of a 24 weeker, I think I can handle a 37 weeker with transitional breathing issues. I have experienced prenatal steroids, the oscillator, surfactant, the conventional vent, chest x-rays, more steroids, C-PAP, nasal cannula, home O2 and asthma.

Timely as it may be, World News on ABC just ran a story tonight about this very topic: elective c-sections being performed prior to 39 weeks and the issues present in those babies. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WomensHealth/story?id=6595888&page=1 Hubby and I both watched it and came to the conclusion that I am NOT one of those women who is having an elective c-section. My c-section is medically necessary as my TAC prevents me from having a vaginal delivery, not to mention the fact that I should not experience active labor. Additionally, I have other possible risk factors that I think tip the scales in favor of an earlier delivery (37 weeks) without my needing to feel bad or guilty about it.

So, all the being said, the fact that my amnio could be just five weeks away is starting to make me a little nervous! This baby will be here before we know it and I am starting to wonder how ready I am...

Needless to say, I have many phone calls to make tomorrow: tracking down records, scheduling with the perinatologist, etc.

Tomorrow, I am officially 32 weeks! This puts me in a whole new category as if Baby Boy arrived between 32 and 34 weeks, he would be classified as "moderately preterm" as defined by the March of Dimes. We are out of the woods on "very preterm" and "micro-preemie" and oh yeah, that level III NICU, no longer necessary (assuming we are healthy in every other way!).

1 comment:

Leana said...

Wow, you really are getting close! I'm excited for you and can't wait for your big day. I chuckled to myself when you said that, after having a 24-weeker, you thought you could handle a 37-weeker with minor breathing issues. Of all people, yeah, I would think you could. :-) But I don't think you'll have to. Thanks for posting on Miran's blog . . . I'll be back soon to check for all your updates.