Thursday, January 1, 2009

Can You Believe It?!

I am all about reading between the lines and was absolutely stunned to receive a phone call from my old group yesterday. I saw their number on my caller ID and decided I didn't want to get myself worked up by taking the call so I let it go to voice mail. Typing this, I suppose it wasn't the call itself that stunned me, as I personally believe that the doctor should call and at least apologize for his behavior two weeks ago, it was more the nature of the call, hence my initial comment about reading between the lines.

The message from the nurse was to confirm that I no longer wanted to deliver with the group, that I was in fact moving to another group within the hospital.

Let's look at the events leading up to this and you tell me if you think the writing was on the wall or not:

1. My last visit to the office was a horrible experience. So horrible that I left in tears, neglecting to pick up my orders for testing at the local perinatal testing unit.

2. I was a "no-show" at my last two scheduled appointments with the group. (I know, it's terrible that I didn't have the courtesy to cancel, but I was awfully upset and well calling there was just not something I wanted to do. Again, I assumed they would "get the hint".)

3. On Christmas Eve my new group faxed over a request for records SIGNED by me!

Hmmmm, you think after all this I'm going to have you deliver me? A doctor and group who clearly don't value me as an educated patient committed to having a healthy, uneventful pregnancy? No, I'm sure they much prefer the patient I met in their office about a month ago who didn't know she was pregnant for 20 weeks, went on to have a micro-preemie with major complications (God bless the child) and now less than one year later and just a couple months of having her son home from the hospital, is pregnant again and not quite sure how it happened. Now I know why as soon as I started talking to this other mom they called my name and put me in a room to wait!

So the question is, do I call back or perhaps by ignoring the voice mail, they will get the hint. Maybe I'll just call the insurance company, who by the way, knew I was unhappy long ago and told me that anytime I wanted to switch care providers I was entitled to do so.

No comments: