Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another Milestone?

Hmmm, I wonder if my glucose screening counts as a pregnancy milestone. I pushed the test as late as I could (I was instructed to complete it before 28 weeks) and knowing it was "lurking" out there in the future as something to look forward to helped me get through the past week. You see, as gross as some women might find it, this was one of the many things I personally felt "robbed" of during my last pregnancy. On the scale of grief, the glucose test pales in comparison to the most important loss of My Girl not getting what she needed and was entitled to in the womb. But on the whole, having a premature baby is accompanied by many losses and this well-known drink the solution and have your blood drawn test was one of them.

This pregnancy is not intended to make up for those losses. That was never my or our intention - to right the wrong. But I do appreciate all the little things that most women might take for granted. Not saying they do, but they certainly might.

The test was not nearly as bad as it had been made out to be. I drank a bottle of lemon-lime solution, sat and worked on my Christmas cards, went back an hour later and had my blood drawn. It was as simple as that.

No comments: