Thursday, December 4, 2008

Third Trimester???

Last night, I was counting down the hours to midnight in anticipation of the arrival of the long-awaited third trimester. I am officially 27 weeks today and with that, it was my understanding, came a new, never before entered (by me) marker of pregnancy. In spite of feeling a bit under the weather (sinus congestion), I was on a cloud, excited about this newly achieved personal milestone.

I had an afternoon appointment today for a cervical scan and shared my excitement with Nurse Barb, who probably didn't mean to, but totally burst my third trimester bubble, telling me it was common knowledge that the third trimester officially begins at 28 weeks. She casually told me, just one more week. I was devastated! Then Dr. Gerson entered the room...

Well, he just made my day and I have to say, today was my best visit to date! He agreed that the literature is conflicting stating that 27 weeks is listed in one source and 28 weeks in another. So, based on my source of the chart below (thanks, Jen!), I am officially in the third trimester and feel damn good about it!



My cervix continues to be long and closed and today, Dr. G told me he considers me a "success"! Well, it depends on how you look at it... I told him that to me, success is having my baby and holding him immediately after birth, something I didn't get to do with My Girl and something I know I wouldn't get to do with My Boy if he were born today at 27 weeks gestation. So to me, success has not yet been achieved, but with each passing day, becomes more and more likely.

Dr. G felt that based on my "success" I discontinue weekly cervical checks. Thankfully, he was receptive to the fact that I NEED these checks for peace of mind and since they are already scheduled through the end of the year, agreed that it was okay that I keep them on the calendar. Additionally, he said if I wanted to be seen, he would be more than happy to do so.

We then had a discussion about preemies and the NICU. He reminded me that survival starts at 23 weeks and is quite low. And with this low survival, comes high morbidity. He emphasized that I have reached the inverse of this and at 27 weeks, survival is high and morbidity is low (survival was quoted at 95%). It feels so good to be on the other side but I still know the potential road and complications that even a 27 weeker would face in the NICU. I opt to keep on cooking...

1 comment:

Katie said...

Congratulations on making it to the third trimester! I hope to make it there someday too!