Friday, December 5, 2008

My Definition of Success

At 27 weeks 1 day in my last pregnancy, the equivalent of 17 days old, I was finally able to hold my baby for the first time. This perfectly illustrates why my definition of success is much more than achieving 27 weeks gestation. Granted, it is better than the 24w 5d my daughter got but still a devastating gestation to have a baby come into this world.

I think the scary part is that one might assume since Our Girl did so well having been born at 24w 5d, that Our Boy, with more time in the womb, would do just as well if not better. This mirrors a conversation I had yesterday with Dr. G that I don't feel it's possible that our family would be as blessed twice. I expressed my concerns that we are expecting a boy and that statistically, boys don't do as well as girls. The whole race factor comes into play too with African American babies having better statistics than Caucasian babies, with the "wimpy, white boy" at the very bottom of the charts.

Dr. G told me to disregard the stats, that a baby does as well as their genetics. This Baby Boy is of the same make-up as our Miracle Girl and that counts for something, at least this is the doctor's opinion. I am not willing to test his theory.


Our First Family Photo August 11, 2006

No comments: