Monday, December 8, 2008

Low Fluid...

Since I still didn't feel right yesterday and last night, I decided to call and see if Dr. Davis was able to see me today. Sure enough, he was and my mom and I drove to New Jersey for my 2:00 appointment.

I had Patty, a wonderful ultrasounographer who was there the day I had my Pre-TAC consult. Baby Boy looks good and is measuring right-on for his gestational age of 27w 4d. His arms and legs are long and measure ahead but with his smaller stomach measurements, he averages out appropriately. He also weighs about 2 lbs 6 oz which is a whole pound heavier than My Girl was at birth.

My cervix is still measuring long and closed which is good news. The bad news and perhaps the explanation for my recent uterine irritability is that I have low amniotic fluid. The good news is that so far, Baby Boy has been unaffected by this latest finding. His blood flow was checked and no other problems are on the radar.

I was also hooked up to the monitors today because of my low fluid level and my complaints of contractions. I had four episodes of minor contractions in a 45 minute period. The nurse who worked with me acknowledged that just because something might not always show up doesn't mean things are not happening - basically I can have undetectable contractions that are very much real to me. She confirmed what I have believed all along, that a person like me with a history of a 24 week birth, be closely monitored.

I am exhausted at the moment as my mother and I closed the place. At 6:50 I called Hubby to let him know we were just leaving the hospital. It was a very long day.

There is a relief to know that perhaps it's the low fluid level that is causing my discomfort. I am to drink a measured gallon (I do drink a lot anyway and stay away from caffeine) and follow up with my other group on Friday to have my level checked again. I am hopeful that by getting my fluid back up my uterine irritability will be eliminated.

On another note, Dr. Davis has ordered the Procardia around the clock. So basically I am taking 20mg three times a day. We'll see if this helps. He did give me the realistic expectation that it won't totally eliminate all the discomfort.

I knew something just wasn't quite right and now I know that my feelings were valid. There is something else going on and thankfully I now have the knowledge to attempt to fix it.

No comments: