Sunday, December 21, 2008

Doctor Update

I spent Thursday and Friday researching different OBs in the area. I have decided that I don't want to drive into the city for care or delivery since I am already driving pretty far to see Dr. Davis. My search for a new doctor has been limited to the suburban hospitals, specifically Main Line Health.

There was one group that came highly recommended - as in everyone who commented on my run-in post, gave me the same name/group of docs. I have an appointment scheduled to meet one of the male doctors in January. They only deliver at Paoli and since Paoli only keeps babies born at 32 weeks gestation, I didn't think it was really necessary to push the issue and see the group sooner. I will be just a few days beyond 32 weeks when I have my consult.

I called around to a few other groups who insisted on knowing where I got my care to this point. It would have been easier for me to have just relocated to the area instead of leaving a local group. When I pushed the issue, I discovered that these other groups don't want to take anyone who is "high risk".

I made one other appointment with a group of women doctors who deliver at Lankenau. After speaking with three different people, one of the doctors personally called me to better understand my situation. She was very nice, explained they have had other patients with a Transabdominal Cerclage (TAC) and was curious to know who my surgeon was. Her big concern was sending me for testing as the MLH Perinatal Testing Centers are usually run by my old group. I assured this doctor that all my testing is able to be completed by Dr. Davis. She didn't seem to mind that I would also be followed by Dr. Davis. I meet this group on Christmas Eve.

So now I need to come up with a list of questions about philosophies and office procedures. For example, the Paoli group delivers their own patients as one of the five docs is always on-call. I am not sure the same is the case for the Lankenau group but I do know that Main Line Perinatal is not one of their covering offices.

The big thing that I go back and forth on is where do I want to deliver. Paoli is much closer to home and where Precious Miracle was discharged from. Lankenau is where Precious Miracle was born and spent the first 85 days of her 105 day NICU stay. Both have meaning, just in different ways.

No comments: