Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Overdid It... Again

It's probably not in my best interest (nor the baby's) to push myself but it happened again this weekend. It's really hard not to overdo at times as the doctors (all three that I see) have not ordered me to follow any limited activity or bed rest guidelines.

Yesterday we took Our Girl to a breakfast with Santa. I was on my feet in heels much longer than I thought I would be. You see instead of just having breakfast, there was a dee-jay with dancing (no, I didn't dance) and I couldn't help but line the edge of the dance floor with the other parents watching our adorable children dance their hearts out. Here is a little idea of the draw that kept me on my feet...

After the festivities were over, I dropped Hubby and My Girl at home (nap time!) and ran off to an open house at an elementary school we are considering for our children. Not having the opportunity to change, I was still wearing my uncomfy heels which proved a huge mistake. I ended up walking the campus, breaking to sit when I could, but all in all, I was on my feet for about two hours.

From there, I pumped gas (I filled up for less than $30 and I was VERY empty!) and came home to pick up Hubby and My Girl. We then ran out to get our Christmas cards at Costco, I stood in line to make a return and then it was to Walmart to grab some additional Christmas lights. Hubby took Our Nut out to the car and I waited in the check out line only to have the woman in front of me decide at the last minute to void her whole order and start over. Knowing my body could take no more, I stormed over to the Customer Service Desk and demanded to be rung up. Every time I enter a Walmart, I swear I will never go back and last night was no different.

By the time we started heading home, the light flurries turned into something a little more and our ride was quite eventful. I am one of those nervous drivers when it snows while Hubby tends to have a little more confidence in his ability to manage the car. Well we ended up detouring just two miles from home, skidded to the shoulder on a back country road and detouring again just a mere 1/2 mile from home. Let's just say the stress was probably not good for me as my finger nails clawed into the sides of the seat. Thankfully, we made it home safe and sound.

In anticipation of a rough night, I took two Procardia pills as soon as we got home. I was in bed by 9:00 and thought I was home free - until about 12:15. That's when the contractions began. My script is for (1) 10 mg Procardia pill every 8 hours - Dr. Gerson specifically told me when he wrote the script he was giving me a low dose because of my size. Dr. Carlson told me not to bother with the Procardia and Dr. Davis said to double the dose and take it every six hours. Reviewing the various directions my multiple doctors gave me, I decided that when I had five contractions in a forty-five minute period, I needed to take more Procardia.

My mind was racing. The first thought was that of course, I brought this on myself. How stupid of me! I was convinced I was a having a 27 weeker. The roads were too bad for me to drive myself to the hospital. I couldn't expect my mom to drive over on bad roads, plus that would take too long. I couldn't disturb my poor neighbors to come watch our sleeping child at now 1:00 in the morning. The only thing I could do was call an ambulance.

Hubby and I lay in bed, he watching the clock and me making an effort not to make too much noise with each painful contraction. The audible ones he tracked, the silent ones, he had no idea occurred. If they were less painful, maybe they weren't real. We did our best to fall back to sleep.

Thankfully we made it through the night - me and Baby Boy still as one. My contractions started again and I took two more Procardia. Then I called the service. It was Dr. G on-call and I decided to have him call me back. He did his usual "calm down" talk - no I wasn't crying, just methodically reading through my notes so I didn't forget to tell him anything. Basically, I went through my contraction and medication time line. He reminded me that I am small (funny he still considers me small considering I look like a blimp these days) and that I can overdose on Procardia. I explained that Dr. Davis gave me different instructions and Dr. G asked who my doctor was... Hmmm, did I strike a nerve? My local group knows I still see Dr. D so why should he be offended I'm following his orders too? I mean come on, he isn't even on the same page as his in-house colleague, something I've been meaning to discuss with them.

Anyway, he told me as my pregnancy progresses, my contractions and symptoms will change. Lovely. Why is this not a talk that is incorporated into an office visit, a sort of update on the warning signs to look out for?

Bottom line is that each night now (since I have been waking up with contractions too) at 6:00, I am to take two Procardia. My doses are to be no closer than six hours.

So while I've sort of known that an increased activity level tends to cause discomfort, when I rest up and feel good, I forget that part of the pregnancy. Then days like Saturday happen when I totally overdo it only to play catch up with a major dose of panic and worry to go with it.

My main concern is to keep Baby Boy cooking as long as I can. But, I will admit, it is really hard to "do the right thing" when I have My Girl right in front of me, needing her mommy.

No comments: