Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Dancing Dr. Carlson

Today after Kindermusik, the Nut and I drove to the hospital for my 11:30 appointment. I broke my neck to get there on time and was quite surprised when we arrived with time to spare.

Going with Missy in tow is seeming more and more the norm for my weekly appointments. Seeing how crowded the waiting room was, I went to the desk to announce my arrival and asked how long until I should come back. I was told 30 minutes. I thought that was perfect timing as Missy's Halloween card was completed and ready to be hand-delivered to both the Development Office (not development as in milestones but development as in fund raising) and the NICU. We made our way through the hospital, saying hello to the many people we met during our NICU days.

We complied with the request to be back in half an hour and walked back in to the Perinatal office at noon. Well, we waited and waited. We used the potty, colored, read books, ate snacks and explored the entire waiting room. We sat in every possible seat, scheduled my weekly appointments through Thanksgiving and then we started to lose it.

By the time we were called back, it had been another half hour plus. My girl who had been oh so good, was now a crying, blubbery mess. It was pushing 1:00 and we were both tired and hungry.

So the details: I have gained five pounds thus far, or at least since they have been monitoring my weight. I see my primary care this evening as a follow up to my "anorexia" diagnosis (remember lack of appetite, not purposeful diet restriction) so I am curious as to her take on my weight gain. The Perinatal office is fine with my weight gain, by the way.

Dr. Carlson came in and my girl was just a disaster. He actually started singing, "The Wheels On the Bus" and engaged her in looking at her baby brother on the ultrasound monitor. That is one of the major differences between Dr. C and Dr. G, Dr. C always checks the baby first. He always prints pictures and then goes on to the real reason for the visit - my cervix. I like the fact that he realizes there is a life growing inside me and that we recognize that life first.

I was a little caught of guard when during his scan of the baby he gasped. It was along the lines of "oh gosh" or "oh my God". The exact wording escapes me but I felt a panic set in. He quickly followed it up with "You do know what you're having?" I informed him we were well aware there is a baby boy baking in there. Well, without being too wordy about it, Dr. C has fallen victim to expressing his amazement over the boy parts this child possesses. He then went on to label an ultrasound image with "I am a boy" and then proceeded to print two copies. Let's just say he is very much a boy. And for some strange reason, people feel the need to point this particular physical trait out every single time it appears on the monitor. Enough already!

Dr. Carlson then went on to check my cervix. At the same time, Missy sneezed and asked for a tissue. Talk about multi-tasking. There I am on the exam table, having my cervix evaluated while leaning sideways off the table with a tissue up to her little nose encouraging her to "blow". It was quite a comical site. Perhaps even more comical was the little jig Dr. Carlson performed as his phone rang. He was very intent on entertaining the once 1 lb 6 oz - 27 month-old he himself delivered.

Because of the nose issue, I never got an actual number on my cervix this week. It's okay though. There is no funnelling and I am long and closed. In terms of chit chat, I didn't have too much this week other than to inform Dr. C that I really want him to deliver me. He told me his expectation is that I will get to term (37 weeks) and that we can just schedule it with him. I emphasised that if that is not the way things work, I really want him anyway. He assured me we would know more as my pregnancy progresses.

I told him that Dr. Davis prescribed the Omega-3 Fatty Acid (Lovaza) and that in the past week since beginning this three times daily regimen, I have had zero in the way of uterine tightness and irritability. Dr. C seemed surprised by this latest cocktail and commented that he will do some reading about it. I told him that it could all be in my head and if so, that's fine. But I highly doubt it. I really feel like I am irritability-free. Perhaps it's just a coincidence and my body just stopped as I started this new drug.

Finally, I am not feeling 100%. I am congested and have sinus pressure. Missy has been sick and I kept her home from school this week (Monday and Tuesday). She is back on O2 at night time in addition to her inhalers. Well, I wouldn't call her sick. She is having an asthma flare up. She is tight and has a cough. The temperature here has dropped over the weekend and I think that is now presenting as an additional "trigger". Previously, her asthma was exacerbated by viral infections, ear infections and the like. Anyway, Dr. C said my primary care could prescribe an antibiotic if needed and went through the list of acceptable options.

So aside from the long wait, it was a good visit. Dr. Carlson is clearly my favorite doctor in the practice and I let him know that today. Oh, and he informed me, much to my chagrin, that he may not be able to deliver a full-term baby through my previous c-section scar. I thought I had a typical scar, size-wise, if not a bigger than usual one. My understanding was that the smaller the baby, the more room you needed for delivery. Yes, he agreed that is true, usually. But for some reason, not with me. Turns out the morning of delivery at 24w 5d with my Nut, I actually went into labor. I suppose that explains the bleeding and while I had little pain, it was enough to thin out my lower uterine segment, which allowed him to make the low-transverse cut on my uterus. Typically, preemies born via c-section are delivered via vertical incision, maybe not on the outside, but certainly on the uterus. I always attributed my receiving the more preferable cut with Dr. C's skill level. Turns out it was my body that dictated that one.

And finally, I had a scan yesterday to monitor the post-surgical issues I had following my lumpectomy last March. Turns out the fluid and debris is diminishing. I follow-up with the doctor on Friday but the tech seemed to think they'd bring me back for one more evaluation.

No comments: