Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Weeks Now Start With A "2"...

It is hard for me to agree that this is a milestone - to reach 20 weeks. My goal is to get to at least 34 weeks and anything before that gestation is just not something I am interested in thinking about. It could be argued that I need "mini milestones" to break the time into smaller chunks, if you will. For me, my weekly Progesterone shots, cervical scans and photo shoots are more symbolic as I physically cross off a shot(right side of the blog), sigh a breath of relief that my cervix is still holding and sport my stylish get-up only to file the picture in a newly created folder labeled "x weeks". I take comfort in knowing one more week has gone by, ignorant to just how many more are left to go. Well, maybe not ignorant, I just don't dwell.

To think 20 weeks is something to get excited over, it's not. Yes, I am that much closer to the day this child will ultimately be born (whenever that may occur) but 20 weeks is not yet viability. And with Precious Miracle born on what is considered the "cusp of viability" I don't consider 24w 5d to be anything exciting either. In fact, as a preemie mom, I know the complications that could affect a baby at any gestation and I realize that term is no guarantee either.

I guess my point is I'm just taking this day by day. That is all I can do.

So today, I had my official anatomy scan. This one was ordered by my local group. Yes, they did the same exact thing on Monday. It wasn't set up to be that but they did it anyway - here's hoping there are no insurance issues. In my opinion, the more people who look at my baby and my cervix, the better the chance that if there is something wrong, it will be caught. Consider it a "safety net" of sorts.

Hubby joined me for this scan as it has been some time since he's seen the little guy. Wouldn't you know, Jennifer, the same tech who preformed Precious Miracle's anatomy scan performed Baby Boy's scan. She also happened to deliver her son three weeks shy of Girlie's NICU graduation. So we had babies in the NICU together for a short period of time. And, she even remembered my girl by name. Very impressive.

Baby Boy got another glowing report and it is quite unanimous among the people who scan him, that he is extremely proud to be a boy. He is in no way bashful and let's it all hang out, so to speak.

Another plus from today is that I met a new doctor. Why didn't I know this man existed prior to today? Dr. Megerian (not sure how to spell it) was so nice and knowledgeable. He has a great bedside manner and I inquired about having him perform my weekly cervical checks. He is closer and did I mention his bedside manner? He answered all my questions with thorough explanations that not once sounded condescending, nor did he make me feel rushed. Bottom line, I like this guy and although he doesn't deliver, has a "relationship" of sorts with my local group that could allow me to possibly see him for my weekly scans. I put a call into Nurse Barb today and am just waiting to hear back. It had better not be an issue as the tech's thought it would be just fine.

Also, since I had a scan scheduled on the same day as my shot is due, I thought it would make sense to have the nurse at the testing center administer my P17, instead of inconveniencing Kim on another Thursday morning. So not only did I have my scan, but I got my shot too. There is certainly something to be said for getting the shot at home. At home I immediately put the heating pad on the injection site. Since I had to drive home today, I thought my heated car seat would work, but it fell short of providing me the immediate relief being home with the heating pad offers. Kim, I really appreciate your help! Thank you!

Oh, I should just wrap up that my cervix looks good. This doc had his own opinion that as long as there is no funnelling, then who really cares what my cervix measures. Okay, I see his point. But, it is very reassuring to know what the number is each week. He was kind and gave me a number to put my mind at ease and I am falling between 2.9 and 3.2 ish. It just depends on how you measure. Oh, and I saw just how reliability between operators can vary. He showed us the different techniques on how to measure cervical length. It was quite the learning experience.

No comments: