Saturday, October 25, 2008

Other Medical News...

Just to follow-up on my visit to my Primary Care Wednesday night, I have a cold. Until my symptoms continue for about a week to 10 days, I won't be diagnosed with a sinus infection and therefore, the only thing that was prescribed, ironically enough, was a Xopinex inhaler. My heart rate was elevated at 112. For some reason, since having Precious Miracle, when I get sick, there is a direct impact on my heart rate. Since we have a pulse ox at home, I've been monitoring it daily. It's still on the high side - much higher than Hubby's which is consistently in the high 60's.

At this point, I have been taking infrequent and only as-needed puffs on my inhaler. Perhaps a puff or two per day - usually at night before bed, is when my cough starts and my chest gets tight. I will admit I took a Benadryl (told by both docs it was okay!) - just one Benadryl - to help dry up my nose so I could sleep. It worked, no coughing and no waking every five minutes to blow my nose.

Finally, my doc was happy with my weight. Thank goodness.

On another medical note, I followed up with my breast surgeon yesterday. She did a full exam and showed me my ultrasound images from earlier this week and the ones from over the summer. She was pleased with the way my surgical site was healing. She gave me a clean bill of health and said unless I have issues, she doesn't need to see me back. Another thing to cross off the list...

Let's hope breast feeding goes well with this one. I never had mastitis with my girl but did get painfully blocked ducts that needed work to unclog. In fact, that's what first got me seeing the breast surgeon. She actually had to perform a needle aspiration to relieve the pressure. She claims the lump she removed in March was not at all related to my breast feeding days. I was concerned that my year-long relationship with a hospital-grade pump had caused some damage.

1 comment:

Certified Life Coach said...

Thank you for sharing your posts.
About your cold - we use Vicks chest rub to open up the airways. It makes a huge difference. We avoid over the counter and prescribed medications whenever there is a more holistic option.

Will had whooping cough (pertussis) as an infant. Any cold poses as a serious lung infection. At the first sign of congestion OR a runny nose we pull out the vicks to give the lungs a break.

I hope this tid bit helps. AND wow, I had no idea you were expecting. Congratulations.
Warmly, Jake