Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Today's Appointment

I am so glad that I moved my appointment up by a day. There is nothing like peace of mind. Officially, there were no office hours today. Dr. G was in the perinatal testing center and Nurse Barb called up to let him know that I had arrived. It was nice having the office to myself.

I did a urine test just to be sure I was infection-free. Because it was just me, Barb and I actually spoke about my past experience. It all started because I made the statement that I thought I might have overdone it at the NICU Reunion on Sunday. Then it all began about how devastating that was - my first pregnancy. This was the most sympathetic I've ever seen her. I confessed that these worries could be all in my head as I approach what I often times refer to as my "danger zone". I am terribly close. Barb acknowledged that many woman have difficulty around the time of the "anniversary". Well, the office certainly doesn't work off a sympathetic or understanding feeling. It is actually on the cold side with little emotion at all. This was the most I ever got.

My weight remained the same as last week, my blood pressure as low as usual and the baby's heart beat again, music to my ears. He was moving quite a bit and when Dr. G did the transvaginal scan, Baby Boy was sitting right there. Perhaps that is part of my discomfort too or maybe I should say "perceived discomfort". With Missy Girl, I would get kicked and punched - basically, she jabbed me all the time. Baby Boy tends to roll around, never actually executing a blow. It is a very, very different feeling. And, when he is very low, as he was today on the scan, it causes uncomfortable sensations that cause my mind to wander.

My cervix is good. Dr. G was pleasant and I am beginning to feel more and more comfortable as he is quite familiar with this particular part of my anatomy. I like the consistency of the same practitioner measuring and viewing my cervix each week. He certainly knows by now what he is looking at.

Dr. G did not seem at all put-out by my presentation in the office this morning. He actually encouraged peace of mind. Ah, just the kind of doctor I am searching for...

Additionally, he inquired as to whether or not I placed a call to the service over the weekend. Apparently, another practice was on call (very rare) and they received a call in which the patient didn't identify themselves or if she did, it was not written down. They were trying to piece it together. Looks like I am one of the "trouble makers" that automatically pops in their minds. That's good. That's really good.

No comments: