Tuesday, October 7, 2008

More Than A Little Frustrated...

Last Friday, Nurse Barb was extremely anxious to give me a flu shot she so readily had on hand in her little refrigerator. When I expressed my concern about the Thimerosal, she quickly replied that she felt all shots were Thimerosal-free. Based on my experience with my nut, I know that is not the case. My pediatrician always advertises that their shots are Thimerosal-free. At the time, I decided not to challenge Barb. I had my girl with me and just wanted to escape before we moved to melt-down mode, which a two-year old can do without warning.

I called for Barb yesterday and learned she was out of the office. So first thing this morning, I called back. I told her I was ready to get my flu shot but needed one that was Thimerosal-free. What a difference a few days makes: her story somehow changed. Perhaps she did a little research. Perhaps she knew all along. I don't know, but the bottom line is, they can't get Thimerosal-free shots without ordering them a year in advance - or so they claim...

Frustrated, I called my primary care. No Thimerosal-free shots there. So I called my pediatrician. Of course they have them, but will they give one to me? After inquiring with the doctor, Maria called me back. Of course they will give me one - for $50.

My shot (as well as my nut's) is scheduled for next Wednesday. Tomorrow I see my perinatal group and will ask one more time, this time, I'll ask the doc himself, why they can't get the Thimerosal-free shots. I know the answer I will get will be quoted directly from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists which is "The flu vaccination (injection) is both safe and effective for pregnant women and offers some immunity to their infants as well. Some pregnant women may be concerned about the safety of the flu vaccine because some contain thimerosal, a mercury-containing antibacterial compound. ACOG supports the recommendations and findings of the federal Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, which found that there is no evidence showing that thimerosal is a danger to the health of the pregnant woman or her fetus. Thimerosal-free flu vaccines are available, but they tend to be more expensive."

I suppose with this ACOG recommendation, it will be pointless for me to submit my $50 receipt to Baby Blue Prints for my out-of-pocket Thimerosal-free flu vaccine. Peace of mind is priceless but boy, can it add up!

No comments: