Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Still Holding at 3.3

I saw Dr. G again today with Missy Girl in tow. We were coming from Kindermusik so it had been an early morning full of activity. She did absolutely fabulous! She was so excited to hear her baby brother's "thump, thump heart". She held Mommy's hand during my exam and held up like a champ, especially considering we had about a half-hour wait before being seen.

Dr. G checked my cervix which is holding firm at 3.3. I expressed concern about pelvic tightening and he assured me that contractions will have a beginning, middle and end. What I am experiencing is really one big tight ball. He also gave me a "cheat sheet" on the warning signs of PTL and how to understand and track contractions. It's funny, I never got this information last time.

Anyway, he was quite thorough, asking if I had any additional questions. He ended the visit by checking Baby Boy's heartbeat which is strong at 144 bpm. My Girl loves to hear the baby's heart beating and just lights up with excitement.

I reconfirmed that they were unable to get a Thimerosal-free flu shot and Dr. G suggested I call my primary care. I told him I did with no luck but that the pediatrician has them. He did not try to push me into receiving one of theirs. I was quite surprised and relieved that my wishes were respected. I am really trying to like him. Everyone who does tells me he has a good heart. I want so much to believe this. It's just a little hard when I feel he may have had something to do with pushing me into early labor with my nut. More on that as I start to enter what I call my "danger zone".

My friend, April, informed me last night that the health department has flu shots that are Thimerosal-free. I just scheduled my shot for Friday morning. It is a $20 co-pay, so at least I'm saving $30 as the pediatrician wanted to charge me $50. It is amazing the resources out there if you just look hard enough. Missy Girl has received a tremendous amount of resources and even though we have top-notch insurance, help with monthly co-pays for durable medical goods and formula when she required high-calorie Neosure after I finished pumping/breast feeding is/was very helpful. We pay taxes and don't feel funny taking what is available. I just wish there was better communication so ALL people who qualify for such services can utilize them.

Also, since I was feeling pelvic tightness and in following Dr. G's okay to "experiment" with Prometrium, I took a 200 mg pill this afternoon when we got home. For some reason, they make me feel drunk. But guess what? My tightening is subsiding. And yes, I've been pumping fluids all day. In fact, Dr. C was in the office today and upon my third trip to the ladies room in less than an hour, offered to watch my nut while she sat in her stroller. How nice of him! The last time they spent that much time together, he was in the process of delivering her 1 lb 6 oz body through my c-section. I really like him.

My next appointment is my 20-week anatomy scan. I am really looking forward to seeing my boy in great detail. Daddy is going to be there for that scan too! Now I just need to find childcare for my girl who has a full day of therapy. Hmmmm, I best get working on that!

No comments: