Monday, October 13, 2008

Wow!

Let me first start off this post by saying that on Saturday, Dr. Davis CALLED ME to check in! What a doctor! I filled him in on my trip to L&D and confirmed I would be paying him a visit today, Monday.

Today's visit entailed a full one-hour scan of Baby Boy! It was the most thorough ultrasound ever! The baby was evaluated from head to toe: his ventricles, cerebellum, hypothalamus, nucal fold, nasal bone, lips and eye orbits were identified and images of each were saved. His heart was evaluated, inspecting all four chambers, the aorta was located, his kidneys, bladder, stomach/intestines all found and imaged. We saw his hands, counted fingers, saw his feet and measured his humerous, femur, skull and abdomen and confirmed his gestational age is extremely accurate with my dates. He is just about 12 ounces right now. His spine was inspected from top to bottom. And speaking of bottom, his boy parts were very evident and actually the very first thing that popped up on the ultrasound monitor. If I didn't know he was a boy, it would have been very, very, apparent and I am NOT at all trained in ultrasoundography. Bottom line, we have a very healthy looking little boy baking right now. His fluid levels are all good too. We are very thankful to hear good news about our little boy blue.

My cervix was also part of the evaluation. My TAC looks great and is still holding firm. My cervix is long and closed and even with fundal pressure remains uncompromised. More good news!

Of course the cervical measurement I got today was less than the measurement I have been getting from Dr. G for the past three weeks. This prompted much questioning on my part as it is time I fully understand the discrepancy.

It goes like this: My total cervix is 3.3, the number Dr. G has been consistently getting. However, the total cervix is NOT what is keeping this baby safe and sound. It is my functional cervix, which is essentially the cervix that begins at my cerclage (TAC) to the external OS (basically at the vaginal junction). This number is a lesser number measuring 2.9. Since Dr. Davis is the guru on this, I will request next time my local group measures my cervix, that they go from the point of the TAC to the external OS. I just want to make sure that those numbers still jive. (By the way, the below diagram does not show a TAC in place, just the female anatomy.)

Due to my trip to L&D last week, I asked Dr. Davis about PTL and if I am concerned over nothing: cervical insufficiency and PTL are two separate issues. (The only reason I contracted with my first pregnancy was because I had dilated. And apparently once you dilate, you automatically start contracting.) He agreed, CI and PTL are two separate issues but here is where I muddy that distinction up: I have a small uterus. The reason, Dr. Davis stated for pointing this out to me while I was in recovery back in March after having my TAC placed, was exactly why I ended up in L&D: uterine irritability. I totally appreciate his honesty. But to be truthful, my fishing expedition about PTL was so my mind could be put at ease. I was really hoping he would say, unlikely!

So in his medical opinion and as someone who has personally handled my uterus, what I experienced last week, what prompted a phone call to my local group, a phone call to Dr. Davis and a trip to the hospital is not growing pains after all - it's my uterus feeling all irritable. By the way, did I mention Braxton Hicks were evident on today's scan?

What does this mean??? Well, Dr. Davis assures me that my TAC will hold. That come 24w 6d (the day after Precious Miracle was born) I will still be pregnant and that by the time I reach 25, 26, 27, 28 weeks, my anxiety levels will start to decrease. However, I could start contracting and every attempt will be made to treat those contractions and stop labor. We hope this does not occur until I am at least 34 weeks.

In subsequent research, I have learned that women with uterine irritability are less likely to respond to tocolysis (meds/treatment to stop PTL). (I wonder how I responded to the mag sulfate I was given the first time around. I should ask next time I go to my local group.) BUT, with frequent cervical evaluations (transvaginal ultrasounds), it is the hope that cervical change is detected BEFORE labor gets to the point of no return and therefore can be effectively treated.

What's more, is that Dr. Davis said Tylenol will not treat uterine irritability but that Ibuprofen will. But Ibuprofen is one of those meds that works better as prevention. I explained that I am not into taking meds to take meds, especially when he warned me that amniotic fluid levels could be grossly affected between 26 and 34 weeks and that it is under no circumstances to be taken beyond 34 weeks. Tylenol, on the other hand is risky to my liver and as a pregnant woman, I was equated with an alcoholic. Based on my size I am not to take more than 2 regular strength tablets three times a day.

And finally, Omega 3's are said to help out with this, which I was taking until the thought crossed my mind that my pills could be full of mercury. Dr. Davis wrote a script as the prescribed ones are more controlled than the over the counter supplements.

All in all, it was an information-filled day. My head is swimming. I have much more research to do. Dr. Davis reminded me he is only a phone call away and is here for me any time I need him. He promises to get me through. Oh, he also told me, which he could tell everyone - but I'll pretend that's not the case, that little guy is, "a cute kid". That made me smile as did the hug I got before I left.


This "cute kid" looks just like his daddy! Maybe we should go back to III??? But then again today was my daddy's birthday (he would have been 54) and I wondered if today was the day we found out baby boy was a baby boy, if we would have, or at least I would have, felt compelled to go with Karl John.

No comments: